Friday, March 25, 2016

Sam

The last time I was in Arizona, it was 2003. For my younger brother Sam's high school graduation.

He's a grown up now and lives in Phoenix with his girlfriend. Everyday he's going up against Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who's known as "America's Toughest Sheriff." Sam is a Public Defender. 

I told him he's never allowed to defend someone who assaulted, abused, or murders a disabled person. Especially if the victim is autistic. Or has epilepsy. 

He said he'd excuse himself. I guess public defenders can do that. He's a good kid brother. 

We're 12 years apart and he was my favorite form of birth control. Because when I was 14, getting into hair and makeup and being a teenage girl, he was 2 and into everything.....you know, how they do. And when I was 16, he was 4, and there ain't no way I'm dealing with that shit. Baby. Not happening.

The last time I saw Sam was in July 2015, he came up, met the boys, and went to chemo with me. It was the first time in our lives that we were on the same playing field because we were both adults. It was fun to be a grown up with my kid brother.

The boys called him Uncle Sam, or Uncle Sammy. He loved it. But I think Nathan and Isaac are his favorite form of birth control.

And next Friday evening, I'll be having dinner with him and his girlfriend, and our parents in Tucson. I'm really looking forward to seeing him next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment