Saturday, January 29, 2022

How We Got Abby

Sunday, January 29, 2012. It was cold. We had snow. 

We got her when she was headed four. We were told her birthday was in August and that she had turned three the summer before we adopted her.

Abby was between the boys in age, and she was the right dog at the right time. Number One was five years old: "One whole hand!" And Number Two, if you will, was heading to three.

The only formal medical diagnosis my family had was my older son's pediatric epilepsy.

For the past several months, we'd been working closely with the volunteer organization Welfare for Animals Guild. Our requirements were no puppies, a large breed, female, good with kids. I don't recall if we disclosed about my oldest son having epilepsy that was controlled with medication.

Before lunch, we got a call from the super excited volunteer, who in one breath, asked if she could come up for a visit because she just met a super friendly and sweet 3-1/2 year old, black lab hound dog mix who's family has a 1-year-old baby, and the parents were divorcing. In the division, the dad got Abby, but reached out to WAG when he knew he couldn't give the dog the time and attention she deserved. The volunteer said she thinks she may have just the right dog for us. 

A visit? Sure. Let's see what happens. Best case: she's great and we get a dog. Worst case: she's not the one and we try a different dog on a different day. I mean, the boys were young enough that we could just say some bullshit on the fly and they'd believe it. Right? #parenting

Because we knew they were coming, we were keeping an eye out for the car to pull in. I went outside and greeted them as the senior volunteer and the large black dog came up the ten front steps and stood on the deck. Brief introductions were made between Abby and me, and then I opened the door and led our guests inside.

As a large dog, Abby was the same height as my younger son and they looked each other right in the eye. I'm fairly certain they imprinted on each other. Love at first sight is legit.

#2 and his best girl, on one of their first dates; Feb 2012

We visited with the volunteer and Abby for about an hour. The boys were thrilled to have a new playmate. 

It had been a solid five years since we'd had a dog in the house. Before kids, my husband and I had dogs. We each had dogs growing up. We wanted another dog. We know pets add richness to life. And the hour that we visited with the volunteer and Abby, our home full of warmth and constant joyful laughter from the boys.

As the boys and Abby were playing unsupervised in the playroom, the volunteer, my husband, and I were sitting in the living room. Because the boys were still pretty young, I know I was sitting on the floor. 

All of a sudden, I hear gleeful screams and Abby comes running down the hall, jumps up and over the couch, lands on all four of her feet, and then does this sliding-turning move onto her back, belly exposed, and landed right in font of me, basically saying, "I WANNA STAY!!!"

Right? I mean, seriously. Who does that? Abby. Abby does that. 

The volunteer, bless her heart, explained that Abby was completely submitting to me, as I stroked Abby's belly and told her she's a pretty cool dog. I looked up at my husband,"Well, what do you think?" 

My husband looked at Abby and I on the floor and replied, "I think she's been running around with the boys for a while and may need a drink of water and a potty break."

So we got her a drink of water, and then she and I went outside for a little break from the boys. She did a little sniffing around and probably relieved herself, and then I called her name. Abby came over to me and I told her to sit, which she did, and looked intently into my eyes, eager to please. I knew we were keeping her, so I whipped out my phone and snapped a quick pic.

We had a good first girl to girl conversation...

Me: You're a good girl. Can you stay?

first ever pic I took of our girl
Abby: Thanks! Yes, please!

Me: Can you handle those boys? Because they're crazy. And they don't listen because they are mobile and mindless. Basically, you're joining a circus, and you'll be my right hand in raising them.

Abby: Yes! I can because children are my favorite! I LOVE KIDS!!!!!! I mean, you saw that move when I jumped over the couch and slid into your lap right? I have some cool circus tricks, so I think I'll fit in. But you are the Boss Lady. Also that Man seems nice.

Me: Yes. He's a good egg. You're gonna do your business outside, right? Like, no pottying in the house because I do not have any time for that bullshit.

Abby: I'm house broken and technically, I make dog shit. I'm not leashed trained very well but this yard seems big enough.

Me: Thanks for letting me know about you not liking the leash. I completely understand that. And, I appreciate your snark. Seriously. I think you'll fit in. Should we go check on the boys? Ready to rejoin the party?

Abby: TOTALLY!!!!!!!

We went back inside and Abby immediately began playing with the boys again. I knew we were keeping her. My husband knew we were keeping her. The volunteer knew we were keeping her. 

My husband and I talked as privately as we could for a few minutes in the kitchen. We knew that if we were lucky, we'd get eight or so years out of Abby. We asked the volunteer if she needed to take Abby back to her owner's house to say goodbye, to which she said she did not. She had talked with him and he knew that Abby could be gone one day when he got home. The volunteer also said that we could try living with Abby for a week or two and see how things go...that if she didn't fit in, we could surrender her to WAG and they would find a different placement for Abby and work with us on finding a different dog. Absolutely no pressure. 

So she stayed.

And that is how we got Abby.

Our Anderson Family Circus was complete.


1 comment: