Saturday, March 7, 2020

Overwhelmed

I'm feeling overwhelmed, and I bet you are, too. There is a plethora of information coming at us from all angles: our employers, our schools, our colleges and universities...which may also be our employer...and then there's the health department and the hospitals. And #SweetJesus with Facebook and Twitter! Some of the memes have been hysterical! But, really...Calgon! Take me away!

The best way for me to help you is acknowledge that I do not have all of the answers. I mean, I know a lot of shit about a lot of shit, from both my professional background and from personal experience...and #JesusKnows I'm always up for providing my opinion...but I'm not an oracle, you guys. I mean, seriously. The information regarding the Coronavirus is changing rapidly and, yes, it's hard to keep up. And, really, I think there's a certain pressure to know what's going on, for all of us, about how to best work together and help each other stay healthier.

Here's information from the Center's for Disease Control and Prevention.  Please scroll down, for information about the how to prevent and control for Coronavirus at home, at schools K-12, at colleges and universities, at work (for those of you who work in a traditional office), in health care settings, and more.

The other website I trust and reference frequently is the World Health Organization.

Am I anxious? A little. I'd be lying if I said I didn't stock up on hand sanitizer, hand soap, and paper towels. And the best I can understand about people buying toilet paper en masse is that perhaps they are also using it as facial tissues...? Like instead of Kleenex. Secretly, I prefer Puffs.

Annnnyyywaaaayyyy.....

But we also don't know what we don't know. Like is this a seasonal illness...? Will numbers drop when the weather in the Northern Hemisphere warms up? Will it recur? How long will this outbreak last? Is it worth it to go to the store and look for items like hand soap and rubbing alcohol and where's that video for the recipe for homemade hand sanitizer? And does it really work...?

The World Health Organization has produced a number of videos, around the Coronavirus outbreak and you can click here for more information...good luck and have fun! This one was pretty good; it explains how the virus started and where it's headed. Please note that the video was uploaded by WHO on January 31, 2020...and while this isn't "old"...it is dated...at less than 6 weeks old, and new details about the Coronavirus have emerged. And, again, it's hard to keep up...so I do my best to let go of the specifics...go back to basics...like washing hands and wiping down surfaces in my home, including doorknobs and light switches, with antibacterial wipes. I was at Costco a while ago before they started limiting the number of things you could buy. And I just shop different...because of lots of reasons, like cancers and earthquake preparedness and winter storms are legit up here on the Peninsula you guys....

Anyway, a good option for taking your mind off of the Coronavirus is always watching a movie. If you're into scaring the shit out of yourself, you may want to consider watching fictitious movies like "28 Days Later" or "Contagion". Just remember that what happens in Hollywood movies isn’t the truth...but it could be good to help get you thinking about what to do to protect yourself and the people you love.

Alternatively, Netflix has a new docuseries called "Pandemic: How to Prevent an Outbreak"...and the timing is impeccable. Of course, the more time passes, the more information about the Coronavirus has emerges, including info from what's happening in the City of Wuhan, where the outbreak originated. It's like a ghost town.

In my opinion, you're much better off spending time watching the factual videos and documentaries than to watch the Hollywood versions of Judgement Day. I mean, seriously. At least you'll have some kinda knowledge about communicable diseases, you guys. 

And you know how you're now seeing germs on everything? And how every time you are out in public and you hear someone cough you're like "WTAF? Don't come near me or I will spray you with Lysol, bitches!!!" That's my everyday. Because anxiety does that to me. Welcome to my world. I like to think of myself as a product of my education and the numerous classes I've taken on disease control and prevention. And, of course, you don't watch your husband survive staph endocarditis, and tonsil cancer without learning a thing or two about compromised immune systems and how to protect your family from germs. Seriously. Oh, and when I went through breast cancer, I carried hand sanitizer with me all.the.time. And I still do. I'm that broad wiping down the cart with disinfecting wipes. Or pouring hand sanitizer on the cart handle. For real. Keep your germy germs to yourself. Thanks.

Anyway, so, yes, it creates anxiety and yes, the President is a dip shit and no I'm not listening to him and his non-science-based health advice and that he stated it's a hoax by the Democrats, even though he backtracked to cover his ass, and that he thinks it's ok to hang out in large crowds...even though Washington State Governor Jay Inslee said that you may want to consider not hanging out in large crowds since there's a fucking Coronavirus outbreak and the first case and first death were both in the greater Seattle area, but they aren't the same person. Explain to me how the Democrats concocted this hoax that started in China and explain how thousands of people have died, and explain to their families how in the actual fuck this is a hoax. Please. I'm really curious about just how those synapses are firin' there, Mr. President...because it's not the same advice that the scientists and physicians and health care workers are giving. #PraiseBe

#AndAlso did you really just overrule the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention and tell senior citizens that it's ok to fly? When the agency responsible for keeping Americans healthy just said that senior citizens should avoid nonessential travel since they are at higher risk because, just naturally as we age, our immune system ages...and in all likelihood we've probably been through some shit just to make it the Age of Retirement? As a friendly FYI, the CDC is also recommending that people with chronic health conditions, including but not limited to a variety of issues involving heart, lungs, or kidney disease limit themselves to travel and avoiding crowds.

Why in the fuck is a communicable disease being politicized? Oh wait...right, we had that with the Gay Plague in the early 1980's with HIV and AIDS.

Would I stay home if I was over 60? Eh. Maybe. Would I, as a cancer survivor, at the age of 70, get on an airplane and fly across the country right now? Probably not. Because, #SweetJesus what if I'm visiting my friend in the District and the FAA and CDC shut down all flights into Seattle and I can't find a car to rent in order to get home...all the way from DC to Port Angeles...? Holy Shit. I remember people did that as a result of 911.

Also, if you need a break from all of this, since this is a visceral post (aren't they all?) I encourage you to take time to click here...and read the entire thing. It's pretty cool.

So, I gave you CDC and WHO...and here's the Washington State Department of Health's (DOH...like Homer Simpson, not a fan, but still it's an appropriate cultural reference) page...and the DOH has fact sheets in ELEVEN languages! Thank you Washington State for being awesome like that!

And the Clallam County Department of Health and Human Services totally has their shenanigans together, you guys! For real. Check out the super easy to read info: http://www.clallam.net/Coronavirus/

Locally, you can also check KONP, Olympic Medical Center, Peninsula College, and the Peninsula Daily News (maybe think about letting Coronavirus-related articles be no charge...? Thanks!)

This is an interesting article from the NY Times....and people in the greater Seattle area that are over age 60 and pregnant women, to stay home...and cancel events where more than 10 people gather...to reduce the spread of disease.

And here, check out this really cool interactive map!

OH! And did you read the article on GeekWire about Avi Schiffmann, the kid in the Seattle area who created a website called https://ncov2019.live/ to track data about the Coronavirus? He's the lead on the data and the facts, right now, because, ya know, everything is a race...#boys.

And did you see that Jay Inslee is awesome? I mean, I know I mentioned him before...but seriously. Covering the cost of the COVID test! Who does that? Washington State does. Take that, DC!

And thank you for NOT shaking hands, Governor. Seriously. Because keep your germy germs to yourself.

Do I think we're gonna get positive cases out here? Yes. We're geographically isolated, but we are not immune to the Coronavirus. All we can do is try our best to prevent the spread of any disease. Practice regular hand washing...





...and keep breathing. 




Thanks for reading. 
Namaste,
Rachel
xo




No comments:

Post a Comment