Thursday, May 19, 2016

Six months out

Today, I am six months out from my last radiation treatment for breast cancer.

Last Thursday, we found out that my husband's right tonsil has cancer.

His cancer is caused by the Human Papillomavirus. 

This is the same virus that causes genital warts.

And cancer of the cervix.

But we don't talk about HPV causing cancer of the tonsils. I've been a Health Educator for nearly 20 years, and I've never heard about cancer of the tonsils.

Cervical cancer--yes--that sells...it makes headlines.

Why?

I think it's because the cervix is sexier than the tonsil.

Right?

Because the cervix is in the vagina...and we have such a fuggin dichotomy about sexuality in our culture.

But before I go there...and I will...I have to get some rest...because I'm fried.

Mentally.

Emotionally.

Physically. 

I am recovering, still, from the hell my body went through with cancer treatment. My doc said to give myself a month to recover for each dose of chemo...I had 12 treatments.

And then I had 21 hits of radiation...so I'm still recovering from that.

And now, depending on what the pathology report shows, my family is starting to mentally and emotionally prepare for Randy to go through cancer treatment.

Based upon the pathology report, there are three possibilities for Randy:

1. Do nothing after the surgery except recover from it

2. Radiation...which is the first line of treatment

3. Radiation and chemo...which I don't want him to go through, but recognize that it's not something I can control.

Of course, we want option 1--do nothing because the Man ENT got all the cancer out and the pathology report stages the cancer as "ain't no biggie."

We'll see....

But I do know, that someday, my husband will be 6 months out...and 12 months out....and so on.

Right now, we gotta get through today.

2 comments:

  1. I wish you both peace and love and prayers. He is my very favorite math teacher. Hugs from me to you both. I wish I could do more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend just went thru tonsil cancer! Crazy that I know 2 people going thru this! He had the surgery with the chemo and radiation! My thoughts and prayers go out to you all~ My spouse has 2 years out now after being told he had 2 months! You got this! He gots this! We all got this! <3

    ReplyDelete