Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Feelin' Better

My 13-year-old is feeling better. #PraiseBe

I can tell because throughout the morning, in small doses, he was able to handle a variation of the BRAT diet: bananas, rice, apple sauce, toast.

Keeping down a hot soft pretzel (available in the frozen food section bc ain't nobody got time for that!), an apple sauce packet, a banana, and a red Popsicle. I know I'm not supposed to give a red Popsicle to a person who has been vomiting and has diarrhea. But seriously...? It's a reasonable risk, you guys. #JustEat

He's also been keeping down water. Which is really good. Especially when compared to yesterday when he couldn't keep water down. And in his world, that means he didn't take his anti-seizure meds. Of which there are plenty.

So far, with this GI distress, he's missed three doses of his anti-seizure meds, and naturally, he's at an increased risk for seizures. #Duh #CauseAndEffect #Science

I've been watching him closely and haven't seen too many. From his initial diagnosis when he was 4, I've remained cautiously optimistic that he'll outgrow his seizures. Many kids do.

Even though he has a rare form of Epilepsy called Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome...and those kids usually don't outgrow their seizures. I remain diligently optimistic. Because, according to my son's Pediatric Neurologist: my son doesn't do things by the book. So, maybe...someday...he will outgrow his seizures...?

When sickness runs through our home, my child with special needs gets hit the hardest and longest. It is unfortunate. But it makes sense. Because of the numerous anti-seizure medications my son takes on the daily, his excretory system is working harder, making him more at risk for kidney stones. And, he's already predisposed to those since both paternal grandparents have had them. I've heard women who have experienced both vaginal birth and kidney stones...hopefully not simultaneously...have said they'd rather give birth again than pass a kidney stone a second time. I can't say for certain, but it seems to me there's a lower level of long-term commitment with passing a kidney stone than giving birth. #WTFDoIKnow

And, of course, his digestive system is working harder...so his liver is also affected by the meds he takes. And he takes the meds so that he won't seize. And if he seizes...when he seizes...his brain stops for a few seconds.... And, yes, it's stressful to watch. every.single.time.

So far, he's missed two days of school. He may or may not go to school tomorrow. In our house, we say "We'll deal with tomorrow tomorrow." So that's what we'll do with that.

He's concerned about missing Fun Friday. I'm concerned about getting more food and liquids into him and out of him in the healthiest way possible.

While he's not moved off the couch in two days, he's definitely feeling better. And for this I am thankful. It remains to be seen if he'll be at school tomorrow.

Oh! JOY!!! The boys are fighting over what to stream!

#ThankJesus I went to Phoenix so I could come home and get my Mom on at the Boss Level. 

And don't worry, you guys...the wedding blog is coming.

Thanks for reading,
#MaRa



No comments:

Post a Comment